Google

2005-08-11

Yum Update issue in Fedora

In one of my Fedora Core 4 (FC4) installations, I started to have issues with yum

[root@var]# yum -y update
Setting up Update Process
Setting up repositories
updates-released 100% |=========================| 951 B 00:00
extras 100% |=========================| 1.1 kB 00:00
base 100% |=========================| 1.1 kB 00:00
Reading repository metadata in from local files
primary.xml.gz 100% |=========================| 553 kB 00:01
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/4/i386/repodata/primary.xml.gz: [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
Trying other mirror.
Error: failure: repodata/primary.xml.gz from extras: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.

I still could not resolve the issue :(

I tried:
  • yum clean all (which removes the files from yum's cache: /var/cache/yum)
  • yum makecache

Nope! Suspecting proxy could be the issue, I've checked if I could access the file via web browser (successful) & via WGET, no problems there:

[root]# wget http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/4/i386/repodata/primary.xml.gz
--16:26:29-- http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/4/i386/repodata/primary.xml.gz
=> `primary.xml.gz'
Resolving proxyext.xyz.com... {Internal Proxy IP}, {ProxyIP}
Connecting to proxyext.xyz.com{Internal Proxy IP}:82... connected.
Proxy request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 565,841 [application/x-gzip]

100%[========================================================>] 565,841 473.93K/s

16:26:30 (472.87 KB/s) - `primary.xml.gz' saved [565,841/565,841]

I also tried playing with wget cache as suggested in this article. So, after I clean yum cache, I went into
/var/cache/yum/extras and run the following:
wget --cache=off http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/4/i386/repodata/primary.xml.gz
wget --cache=off http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/4/i386/repodata/fileslists.xml.gz
wget --cache=off http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/4/i386/repodata/repomd.xml

After successfully downloading these files, livna repos started to crap out. I used the same method to fix livna and back to original problem, extras keep on failing. Pretty frustrating...

[UPDATE-1: 8/11/2005]
Workaround:
I edited /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-extras.repo to disable this repository:
enabled=0

I ran yum -y update, it worked!
Post a Comment